content top

RSNA History – Part 16

In the previous part, we continued to discuss the efforts carried out by RSNA leaders to cope with the increasing number of attendees, in addition to the appointment of a new RSNA Executive Director, Adele Swenson, who succeeded the previous director, Marguerite Henry. In 1971, Swenson was working along with Henry in order to have enough information before managing her responsibilities as an Executive Director alone. Meanwhile, Reynold F. Brown, M.D. and the new RSNA president, in addition to Secretary Maurice D. Frazer, M.D., and several other RSNA leaders, were discussing the situation of the RSNA Scientific Assembly. They were thinking of changing the venue of the Scientific Assembly so it would be held in another one instead of The Palmer House in Chicago. In the same time, Herbert M. Stauffer, M.D. and the RSNA president-elect, passed away. Eventually, Dr. Frazer left his position as the RSNA secretary to become the RSNA 1972 president.

Moreover, Hillier L. Baker Jr., MD, a young radiologist from Rochester, Minnesota, Bakerwas selected to succeed Dr. Frazer as a secretary. In the same time, RSNA leaders were starting to realize that the hierarchical organization of the society, which was established when the RSNA appeared in 1915, was not coping with the requirements of the 1970s. RSNA leaders discussed the possibility of re-modeling the structure of the organization and the responsibilities of the Executive Committee members. Frustration was also increasing among the attendees and exhibitors of the RSNA 1971 Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, which took place at the Palmer House, due to insufficient space for exhibitions. As a new approach to solve this issue, in 1972, Dr. Frazer, Dr. Baker and Swenson contacted the head of the American Hospital Association (AHA) to come and attend the 1972 RSNA Scientific Assembly to suggest the best options for a new meeting venue. AHA has been organizing its own large meeting every year.

Meanwhile, Swenson had new ideas to develop . After featuring the same layout and fonts for years, Swenson realized that the time to change has come. She started with creating an RSNA editorial division. Swenson also rented an office space in Detroit close to Henry Ford Hospital, where Editor William R. Eyler, M.D., was serving as chairman of the Department of . She finally hired several office assistants in order to review scientific writing and English grammar of the articles before sending them back for publishing at Mack Printing in Easton, Pa. Swenson thought that the program of the should be included as an additional issue of . It was obvious that the efforts carried out by Swenson resulted in significant improvements to , which became one of the highly prestigious publications worldwide.


Leave a Reply