GE continues to meet customer needs through innovative technologies that impact patient care, comfort and productivity
CHICAGO — November 26, 2011 — GE Healthcare (NYSE: GE) today celebrates an incredibly innovative year — with more new products and solutions than ever before — at the annual conference of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), starting tomorrow. GE’s accelerated investment in product innovation builds on the company’s efforts to enhance care, comfort and usability for patients and providers, as well as productivity for physicians across a wide range of geographical and clinical settings.
“RSNA is an amazing opportunity every year for GE Healthcare to engage with radiologists and other healthcare professionals — demonstrating how our leading technologies meet their increasingly varied clinical needs,” said John Dineen, president and CEO of GE Healthcare. “We’ve stepped up our product investments in recent years, and the feedback we’re receiving is extremely positive. All the innovations we’re highlighting this year are rooted in GE’s healthymagination strategy — a commitment to help reduce the cost of healthcare while increasing access and improving quality — and we look forward to sharing news on this front throughout the week.”
What to expect from GE Healthcare this week
GE Healthcare experts and executives will be speaking with attendees, demonstrating new technologies and discussing trends in medical imaging and healthcare. Whether at the show or not, journalists are encouraged to watch for the following highlights:
• Product news. On Sunday, November 27, a revolutionary new interventional imaging product will be unveiled for the first time publicly. The following days will be highlighted by a comprehensive suite of cross-modality technologies that bring image clarity to new levels, redefine “low dose” and help physicians diagnose disease.
• Tweetchat. On Monday, November 28, at 1 p.m. Central Time (2 p.m. ET), GE will host a “tweetchat” to give participants the opportunity to interact directly, via Twitter or an online forum, with two GE Healthcare executives regarding important trends impacting the industry. People are welcome to join, or submit questions in advance of the chat, using the #GERSNA hashtag on Twitter.
• Video commentary by leading physicians and GE Healthcare executives. The energy of the show and the excitement of the news will come through in a series of videos with leading healthcare professionals and GE leaders who are at the event, viewable throughout the week on the GE Healthcare Newsroom (http://newsroom.gehealthcare.com/).
Beyond the image
Medical imaging is evolving, and it’s becoming about more than just the image. To meet ever-changing clinical demands, physicians need more flexible, more mobile, more powerful and more user-friendly products and solutions to help them best serve their patients.
GE Healthcare is committed to offering those solutions, with many of GE’s leading technologies on display at RSNA.
• GE’s PET/CT+MR solution is the next step in hybrid imaging. The combination of these technologies produces striking images of the brain, breast and prostate, helping doctors see fine vessel detail, visualize cardiac anatomy and function, as well as detect small lesions and monitor response therapy — a combination that may hold promise for managing patient care.
• Veo* is the world’s first model-based iterative reconstruction technology that changes the way physicians use CT. It helps deliver high-clarity images at low dose levels that were previously unthinkable.
• DoseWatch is a multi-modality, multi-manufacturer solution for tracking patient dose and optimizing imaging safety.
• GE’s SenoBright* helps physicians better diagnose breast cancer. Contrast Enhanced Spectral Mammography technology combines two high-quality images that, when looked at together, create one clear image of the breast. It’s a fast imaging technique without the waiting often associated with other tests.
• GE’s CoreScan* technology helps address the global health epidemic of obesity by quantifying visceral “belly” fat during body composition analysis, which in turn helps healthcare professionals tailor individual treatment plans and manage metabolic disease.
Comfort for patients and providers
• The MR750w with GEM suite coils, GE’s new wide-bore MR system, helps accommodate more patients through thoughtful design — offering coverage without compromise while enhancing patient comfort.
• The fully digital Optima* XR220amx, GE’s new mobile x-ray system designed to expand access, streamline transportation and help improve patient positioning, is one of many GE X-Ray platforms powered by FlashPad.* GE’s innovative digital wireless X-ray detector, FlashPad, helps enable high image quality at low dose levels.
• In a single image, AngioViz vascular vision software can help an interventional neuroradiologist identify where a blocked artery is diminishing blood flow in the brain. This is just one advanced application available on the new Innova IGS 630. Also unveiled for the first time is the revolutionary laser guided motion technology, and predictable and precise positioning capabilities of the new Discovery IGS 730.
• Centricity* Radiology Mobile Access is allowing radiologists to unplug by enabling remote diagnostics and image review on the iPad or iPhone.
• Tools like GE’s HDlive can now provide exceptional anatomical realism unlike ever before on a GE ultrasound system. The technology helps increase depth perception, achieve a deeper understanding of relational anatomy, help enhance diagnostic confidence and ultimately improve patient communication.
• Volume navigation on the GE LOGIQ* E9 general imaging ultrasound device helps diagnose with confidence by combining multi-modality imaging with any ultrasound mode.
GE Healthcare at RSNA 2011
Each year in Chicago, the conference of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) provides a forum for showcasing the latest innovations in medical imaging. If you are attending the conference, please visit GE Healthcare at booth number 3335 in McCormick Place south hall. Throughout the week of the event, GE Healthcare will distribute news and information using these digital platforms:
• Digital press kit: http://newsroom.gehealthcare.com/press-kits/ge-healthcare-at-rsna-2011/
• Twitter: Follow @GEHealthcare and our hashtag #GERSNA
• YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/gehealthcare
• Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/gehealthcare/
About GE Healthcare
GE Healthcare provides transformational medical technologies and services that are shaping a new age of patient care. Our broad expertise in medical imaging and information technologies, medical diagnostics, patient monitoring systems, drug discovery, biopharmaceutical manufacturing technologies, performance improvement and performance solutions services help our customers to deliver better care to more people around the world at a lower cost. In addition, we partner with healthcare leaders, striving to leverage the global policy change necessary to implement a successful shift to sustainable healthcare systems.
Our “healthymagination” vision for the future invites the world to join us on our journey as we continuously develop innovations focused on reducing costs, increasing access and improving quality around the world. Headquartered in the United Kingdom, GE Healthcare is a unit of General Electric Company (NYSE: GE). Worldwide, GE Healthcare employees are committed to serving healthcare professionals and their patients in more than 100 countries. For more information about GE Healthcare, visit our website at www.gehealthcare.com.
For our latest news, please visit
*Trademark of General Electric Company.